Henderson & Hilton

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Shrimp Tacos

One of my favorite restaurants in St. Pete is Red Mesa. One of my favorites there is the shrimp tacos. The shrimp are seasoned and grilled. They are topped with a bit of cabbage, pico de gallo and a habanero aioli. Yes, I wish I could get there recipe, but since that hasn't happened yet I just had to make my own version.

I seasoned the shrimp with Siesta Key Spanish Sazon from another of my favorite places in St. Pete, Savory Spice Shop. It was really cold last night so I didn't grill them, but they turned out delicious in a non-stick skillet with a bit of olive oil. I made my own pico de gallo with tomatoes, onions, green pepper, cilantro and lime juice. Instead of habanero  aioli, I made a chipotle mayo, sour cream sauce. I used a little bit of broccoli slaw to give them some crunch.

No, they're not Red Mesa shrimp tacos, but they are delicious.

Ingredients for 4 tacos
1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 TB Siesta Key Spanish Sazon or other seasoning blend
4 corn or flour tortillas
1/4 cup cabbage or broccoli slaw

Pico de Gallo
1/2 cup tomatoes chopped
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1/2 cup green pepper or jalapeno pepper, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 lime, juiced

Chipotle Pepper Sauce
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
2 TB chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped (to make it less spicy just use the adobo sauce and not the chiles)

Directions
Make pico de gallo and chipotle pepper sauce by combining ingredients.

Heat skillet with 1 TB of olive oil over medium high heat. Sprinkle seasoning blend on both sides of shrimp. Cook shrimp in skillet, 1-2 minutes per side, until they become opaque. Remove from pan. Heat tortillas one at a time for 1-2 minutes.

Assemble tacos with shrimp, slaw, pico de gallo and chipotle pepper sauce.




No comments:

Post a Comment