Henderson & Hilton

Friday, November 16, 2012

Spinach and Sausage Stuffed Shells


Cookbooks, I adore them. My book shelves are packed with them. I love collecting them. I love reading them. One of the first cookbooks I owned is The Frugal Gourmet Cooks with Wine. I methodically cooked my way through this book and still refer to it often. It has notes throughout, stains on the pages of my favorite recipes and is falling apart. If you ask Puppy Daddy what meal of mine is his favorite, I can guarantee it is this one. It is nothing like any stuffed shells you have ever eaten. It's certainly cheesy, but it's also filled with Italian sausage and spinach with lots of garlic and lemon. I encourage you to try it very soon!


Ingredients
1 lb large shells
1 10 oz package of chopped frozen spinach, thawed and water squeezed out
1/2 lb Italian sausage (Follow link to make your own.)
1/2 lb small curd cottage cheese, drained
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp oregano
1 egg, beaten
2 cups marinara sauce
2 cups coarsely grated mozzarella

Directions
Boil the pasta until firm but tender. Rinse in cold water and drain.

Saute the sausage and break up into small pieces.  Mix with the drained spinach, drained cottage cheese, garlic, lemon juice, grated cheese, salt, pepper and oregano. Stir in the beaten egg.

Stuff the shells with the above mixture and place in a greased baking dish. Top with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese.

Bake at 300 degrees until all is hot and cheese melted, about 20 minutes.




2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this recipe! I had this cookbook for years then lost it in the process of moving but I agree that it is THE BEST stuffed shells recipe. Time consuming yes - but I make his Italian Gravy recipe(marinara sauce) one day and then stuff the shells another and bake. Yours was the only posting I could find for this fabulous recipe and I am glad to have it back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! 8 years after your wrote this and I seem to have lost my handwritten recipe! When my kids were little (in the 80's), I would make a cup of coffee at 4 pm every day and sit in front of the tv to watch Frugal Gourmet. I'd scribble recipes as he spoke (there was no internet yet, or there was but not for me), with kids bouncing around me while I was chugging enough coffee to get me through the rest of the day. This was one recipe the FG showed how to make and was a family favorite of ours. That piece of paper got spotted and sauce stained. This is THAT recipe and I am so happy to have found it again! Again, thank you!

    ReplyDelete