Henderson & Hilton

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Pressed Cuban Sandwich

While I'm on the Cuban food theme, I certainly couldn't leave out the Cuban Sandwich. Lately Tampa and Miami have been feuding over where the first one was made and what the mandatory ingredients are. I don't really care as long as it tastes good and this one is delicious. Puppy daddy swears these are the best!


I believe the secret to a great Cuban Sandwich is the pork and the bread. For my sandwiches I always use my Slow Cooker Mojo Pork and the best Cuban bread I can find. My local grocery store (Publix) makes a pretty good one, but if I could get to the La Segunda Bakery in Tampa for bread, I would definitely have the ultimate sandwich. In fact, I think my next trip to IKEA will require a stop at the bakery!. I know the purists swear by regular yellow mustard and no mayo, but I love the combination of Dijon and mayo, so that's what I use. I also prefer provolone over Swiss, but I've used both. I have also sometimes added salami, which is on a Tampa Cuban. Of, course you must have dill pickle slices.





Start by slicing your bread, adding mustard, mayo and pickles.











I put cheese on both sides of the bread so the sandwich sticks together when it melts. Then add your ham and pork.









Finally, its time to grill the Cubans. I use a flat stove top griddle. Put some softened butter on both sides of the bread. Place them on the griddle and smash them down (press) them with anything you have that's nice and heavy. I use bricks covered with aluminum foil, but you could use a heavy pot, or another griddle if you have one.






Time to eat!
 
 
Ingredients
 
 
Good Cuban Bread
Mayonnaise
Mustard
Sliced dill pickles
Sliced deli ham
Slow Cooker Mojo Pork
Provolone or Swiss cheese
Softened butter
 
Directions
 
Slice bread in half. Slather one inside piece with mayo and mustard. Add pickle slices. Top that half and the other half with cheese. Add ham and pork. Close sandwich. Spread softened butter on the outside of the sandwich. Place it on a medium-high griddle. Press down with a brick until one side is lightly browned. Flip sandwich over and repeat.
 
Try this recipe and let me know what you think!
 
 
 
 


1 comment: