Henderson & Hilton

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Real Deal Pizza

For as long as I can remember Friday night has been pizza night at our house. It started with Pizza Hut delivery when my son Brandon was little. I looked so forward to the warm cheesy pizza it even effected how I gave my weekly spelling tests to my students each Friday. I would give students the word to be spelled and then illustrate the word with a sentence that somehow referred to pizza. It was quite a challenge for me as well as both fun and dread for my students. We have gone through many different favorite pizza places over the years, but for quite a while, I've been trying to find pizza recipe that really tastes like one I could get at a good pizza joint.

Yippee! I finally found it on one of my favorite food blogs, Table for Two, by Julie Chiou. The original recipe is from Cooks Illustrated, a highly respected food magazine. This recipe has a couple of important secrets. First, the dough is made cold with ice water and refrigerated for 24 hours before making the pizza. It makes a nice thin dough with crispy edges. The recipe makes enough dough for two 12 inch pizzas. If you only want to make one pizza you can freeze the extra dough. The other secret is a screaming hot pizza stone. Heating the stone for an hour in a 500 degree oven means the pizza cooks quickly and the crust doesn't get too tough. I realized a few things after making this pizza the first time. First, I needed a pizza paddle. With the pizza stone so hot you have to have a way to slide the pizza on to it. I tried sliding it off of a cookie sheet but the dough stuck. I did get it on to the stone but not with out a bit of cursing and a funky looking pizza. Also I realized that I was using too much cheese and not enough sauce which made for a dry topping. Finally, I cooked the pizza way too long and the dough came out tough. My second attempt came out perfect (though I still need a bit of practice transferring the pizza from the paddle to the stone.) This recipe is for pepperoni pizza, but you can of course use the toppings of your choice. Pup Daddy and I have been talking about it all week. I can't wait to eat it again tomorrow night.

Ingredients

Crust
3 cups bread flour
2 tsp. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. instant yeast
1 1/3 cup ice water
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup cornmeal
 
Topping
1 cup of your favorite marinara sauce, homemade or store-bought
2 cups shredded, whole-milk mozzarella cheese
Pepperoni slices
 

 Directions:

To make the dough, combine the flour, sugar, and yeast in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse to combine.
 
With the machine running, add the ice water through the feed tube and process until the dough is combined everything is incorporated, about 10 seconds. Let dough rest for 10 minutes.
 
Add the salt and vegetable oil and process until the dough forms a smooth, tacky ball that doesn’t stick to the sides of the bowl anymore. Remove the dough from the bowl and knead for 1 minute on a lightly oiled or floured work surface then transfer it to a lightly oiled bowl, cover, and refrigerate for 24 hours or up to 3 days. (AFTER the refrigeration process, the dough can be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, put in a freezer bag, and frozen for later use.)
 
1 hour before making the pizza, preheat oven to 500 degrees and adjust the oven rack to the 2nd highest position. Place your baking stone on top.
 
Remove the pizza dough from the fridge and divide in half. If you plan on freezing the other half of your dough for later use, this is the time to do it.
 
Form your dough into ball and lightly oil it. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
 
Transfer your dough to a floured work space and flatten to an 8-inch disc. Using your hands, gently stretch the dough to a 12-inch circle. You may need your rolling pin at this time to help you get the crust thin.
 
Take the cornmeal and spread it over a pizza peel then place your pizza dough on top. Gently stretch it to 13-inches. Start layering your toppings, leaving a 1-inch border from the edge: marinara sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni.
 
Carefully transfer the pizza onto the pizza stone and bake for 10-12 minutes until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbly and melted.
 
Let cool for about 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment