Henderson & Hilton

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Blue Cheese and Apple Cole Slaw

Happy New Year! Though I haven't posted in about a week, I have been doing plenty of cooking and enjoying time with family. Many of our meals have been casual and Cole slaw has been the perfect accompaniment. I learned to make Cole slaw from my mother, who used a very simple, but tasty recipe: packaged cabbage slaw, mayo, sugar, and apple cider vinegar. I made this slaw for many, many years. Then I started tweaking it by changing the cabbage slaw to broccoli slaw, which I think stays much crunchier and adding blue cheese, green onions and apple. I think it is the best Cole slaw EVER! Everyone who has tasted it seems to agree.

Ingredients
6 oz broccoli slaw
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 Granny Smith apple, cored and chopped
1 oz blue cheese, crumbled
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar or Splenda
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Combine slaw, onions, apple and blue cheese in a large bowl. Put mayo, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Stir into slaw mixture.


No comments:

Post a Comment