Henderson & Hilton

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Achiote Chicken with Tangerine Sauce


Huh? I know this sounds strange. It also has way more ingredients than I usually use. Achiote, also called annatto  is commonly used in Latin American and Caribbean cuisines as both a coloring and flavoring agent. It has a slightly nutty, sweet and peppery flavor. That yellow color you see in many Latin foods comes from achiote. I have ground achiote in my pantry because I use it in a great Paella recipe. When found this recipe in my new cookbook, The Bon Appetit Fast, Easy and Fresh Cookbook I thought it would be a great way to try it in something else. We love Latin food and Puppy Daddy really loves tangerines, so I thought it would be worth a try.

The recipe calls for achiote paste which I could not find at my local Publix which has a pretty big Latin food section. I looked up a recipe for it and adjusted the recipe as best I could. I've listed my substitutions in parenthesis in case you are able to find it in your area. This is different than any Latin food I've ever eaten, but it is really delicious. The tangerine and other spices give it a very rich, tropical taste!

Ingredients
2 tablespoons achiote paste*
or
(1 1/2 TB ground achiote)
(1/4 tsp ground cloves)
(1/4 tsp ground all spice)
(1/4 tsp black pepper)
(1 small clove garlic, crushed)
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon grated tangerine peel (or orange peel)
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup fresh tangerine or orange juice, divided
1/2 cup chicken stock, if needed
Chopped fresh cilantro
 
Directions
Blend first 7 ingredients in processor to form paste. Place chicken in 8-inch square baking dish. Spread marinade over, turning to coat. Cover; refrigerate 2 to 4 hours.
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt. Add chicken to skillet; cook until brown, about 2 minutes per side. Add 1/2 cup tangerine juice to skillet. Cover; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until chicken is cooked through, turning once, about 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to plates. Add remaining 1/2 cup juice to skillet; add chicken stock if needed; boil until thickened, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with cilantro.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment