Henderson & Hilton

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Sauteed Chicken with Garlic and Rosemary

I love
I love a lot of things, I love a whole lot of things

After reading through some of my blog posts, I noticed how many things I say that I love. The problem is, it's true. Which made me think of a poet that I LOVE, Eloise Greenfield. My copy of her book of children's poetry, Honey I Love is yellowed and dog eared. I've read the poems in this book to more children than I can count. I'm sure I love them more than any of the kids. 



I love a lot of things
Like
My herb garden - what is better than walking out the door and snipping fresh, fragrant herbs. Almost every time I do I bring them in and stick them under Puppy Daddy's nose. He is always amazed at the scent. Even better is how they taste. This recipe uses fresh rosemary. Sure you could use dried. It is cheaper and lasts for a while in your pantry, but doesn't hold a candle to fresh. I don't know how easy it is to grow in other climates, but in Florida it grows like a weed and there is no reason not to grow your own!

I love a whole lot of things
Like
Cookbooks - I got two for Christmas. This recipe is from a huge volume, The Bon Appetit Fast, Easy, Fresh Cookbook. I love Bon Appetit, too! I've looked at every single one of the 1,100 recipes.

And honey I love this, too.
Sauteed Chicken with Garlic and Rosemary is the first one I've tried and it did not disappoint. It was very easy and very tasty. I used thighs because I think they are much tastier, but you can use your favorite pieces.  The original recipe does not call for cream, but when I was making the sauce, it just seemed to ask for it. The cream softens and pulls together the flavors.
 
I hope you'll try this recipe and follow Honey I Love link to read the poem!

Ingredients
2 lb. chicken pieces, with skin and bones
2 tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves garlic
2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary or 1 tsp. dried rosemary, crumbled
1 c. chicken broth
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar

1/2 cup heavy cream
Fresh rosemary sprigs; optional


Directions



Season pieces with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large skillet on high. Add chicken. Saute until brown, about 5 minutes a side. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and fry until chicken is cooked through, 15 minutes. Put chicken in a bowl. Keep 2 tablespoons drippings from skillet. Add garlic and rosemary to skillet. Cook and stir until fragrant, 1 minute. Add broth, vinegar and cream. Increase heat and boil until sauce is reduced to 1/2 cup, scraping up brown bits, 8 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Put chicken juices in skillet. Cover. Cook over low heat until chicken is heated, 10 minutes. Spoon sauce over the chicken on a platter. Garnish with rosemary. 4 servings.


1 comment: