Henderson & Hilton

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Mexican Chicken Casserole

I know that a few weeks ago I said that my stuffed shells were Puppy Daddy's favorite meal that I make. Well, when I made this casserole this week he said I might have been wrong and that Mexican Chicken might be his all time favorite. I first had this recipe when I was a teenager. My grandmother, Mimi Bates, who loved to cook, found the King Ranch Chicken recipe in Southern Living magazine. Every year she spent several months with us and cooked up a storm, preparing one delicious dish after another. This one was a big family hit! This is my own version which doesn't include canned creamed soups, though you could definitely use those instead of my mayo and sour cream combination.

This is also a great way to use up left over chicken. This week I used left over turkey breast and it was equally yummy. It's also a great way to use up corn or tortilla chips that may be getting a little stale. If you use chips larger than Fritos you should crush them a bit. I encourage you to give this a try soon!

Ingredients
2 TB butter
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 TB dry taco seasoning
2 cups chicken, cooked and chopped or shredded
6 oz Fritos Corn Chips
2 cups chicken broth or stock
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
2 TB chicken bouillon powder
2 TB dry mushroom gravy mix
1 can Rotel tomatoes, choose your own spice level, drain partially
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in frying pan. Saute onions, peppers and celery until softened. Add taco seasoning and mix together. While vegetables are sauteing spread Fritos in the bottom of an 8 X 8 baking dish. Pour chicken broth or stock over chips. Spread vegetables over corn chips. Then spread chicken over the vegetables. Mix
mayonnaise, sour cream, chicken bouillon powder, dry mushroom gravy mix and partially drained Rotel tomatoes. Put this mixture over the chicken. Top casserole with cheddar cheese. Bake for 30 minutes.

1 comment: