Henderson & Hilton

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Sweater Weather Chili


The boys have needed their sweaters for the past couple of days. Yes, in Florida when the temperature gets below 65 degrees, we must bundle up, especially the Whippets. These puppies have short hair and very little body fat, so they get cold easily. I know most dogs hate and don't need clothes, but my dogs enjoy their sweaters in the chilly weather. Of course, chilly weather means a warm pot of chili. Everyone has their own recipe and in this post I will reveal my "secret ingredients". Being a heat lover married to a non-heat lover, I have always made our food without, adding it in to my own serving after cooking. But this pot of chili was an adventure because Puppy Daddy, who has never been a fan of spicy food, has decided that he wants to learn to love heat.  Puppy Daddy convinced me to make the chili "a little" spicy so I added one chipotle chili in adobo. Surprisingly, Puppy Daddy didn't think that the chili was very spicy, so I've increased the chipotle chili in adobo amount in this recipe. We'll see what he thinks next time!



This is an easy, basic chili recipe. Saute the onion in olive oil. Add and brown ground beef. Then add garlic, chipotle in adobo, beans, diced tomatoes, ground chili, and cumin. Then come my "secret" ingredients.






Surprise, unsweetened cocoa and cinnamon. I know it sounds weird, but these two ingredients really add a great depth of flavor. I also like to add a tiny pinch of Splenda or sugar.

Bring everything to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for at least and hour. More time is definitely better and of course it's even better after it sits over night in the fridge. Of course you should top it with your favorites like cheese, sour cream, green onions and my favorite, pickled jalapenos.




Ingredients
2 TB olive oil
1 medium or 1/2 large onion, diced
2 lb ground chuck
2 15.5 oz canned kidney beans
1 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
1 large clove garlic, pressed or grated
2 chipotle in adobo, finely chopped
1 TB chili powder
1 TB cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
pinch Splenda or sugar, optional, to taste

Toppings
shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream
chopped green onion
pickled jalapenos

Directions
Heat olive oil over medium high in dutch oven. Add chopped onions. Cooked until soft. Add ground chuck and cook until browned. Add garlic and cook about 1 minute. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for at least 1 hour. More is better. Serve with your choice of toppings.

1 comment: