Henderson & Hilton

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Greek Burgers with Feta, Olive Tzatziki

I have loved Greek food for as long as I can remember and I am blessed to have always lived in an area that has wonderful Greek food. When I was young (a long, long time ago) families only went out to dinner for special occasions, so when it was my birthday and I got to choose the restaraunt, I always chose Louise Pappas, a legendary Greek restaraunt in Tarpon Springs. Though I never had a burger there, but it was the start of my love for Greek food. Now I don't claim to be a great Greek chef like my Greek friends Marianna and Kiki, but I think you'll find this simple recipe will satisfy your Mediteranean cravings. And maybe if we all beg, they will share some their secret recipes with us!









To make the burgers combine ground chuck, Greek seasoning, red wine, red wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.Sprinkle both sides of the burgers with salt and pepper. These are also delicious with ground lamb or a combination of lamb and beef. Cook the burgers in your favorite method. I love them cooked on a charcoal grill, but tonight I didn't have time for that so I used the gas grill instead.



While the burgers are cooking, make this yummy spread for them. First make the tzatziki sauce by combining Greek Yogurt (I used 2% fat yogurt), lemon juice, grated cucumber, garlic and salt. You will have more tzaziki than you need for the spread, so save it. It makes a fantastic dip for pita chips! To make the spread just add in chopped olives and feta cheese. I love to use a variety of olives that I get at my local grocery store olive bar.




OK, this is important, when making the tzatziki, be sure to remove the seeds from the cucumber. Otherwise it will be too watery. You can do this easily by cutting the cucumber into quarters like a dill pickle. Then just slice out the seed section.





To grate the cucumber I use a Micorplane hand grater, but you could use a box grater as well.




When the burgers are cooked, put them on the bun with the Feta, Olive Tzatziki spread and a couple of slices of cucumber. I served this with a scoop of potato salad and a Greek Peasant salad.

This recipe is for two burgers.

Ingredients
2/3 lb ground chuck
1 Tb red wine
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 Tb extra virgin olive oil
1 Tb Greek seasoning
7 oz plain Greek yogurt
1 Tb lemon juice
1 clove garlic, crushed, finely chopped or grated
1/4 cup grated, de-seeded cucumber
1/2 cup chopped olives, what ever type you like
1/2 cup chopped feta cheese
2 hamburger buns
4 thin slice of cucumber 
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Combine first 5 ingredients, being careful not to break down ground meat to much. Form into two patties. Sprinkle both sides generously with salt and pepper. Cook in personally desired method. Top burgers with Olive, Feta Tzatziki Spread and thinly sliced cucumber.

Feta, Olive Tzatziki Spread
Combine Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, salt, grated cucumber, olives and feta.

Try this recipe out and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! I will have to try it with ground turkey.
    I'll let you know what happens.
    NWB

    ReplyDelete