Henderson & Hilton

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole

The reason for this post is Puppy Daddy. Last night I had not really prepared for making a meal, so I did what I usually do on these occasions and made a casserole with what I had in the fridge and pantry. I wasn't sure I would post it, but Puppy Daddy loved it so much that he insisted. In fact, he must have been so excited to take the left overs to work for lunch today that he left the pantry door open when he got out his lunch bag, which by the way, is where we keep the dog treats. I realized this when I heard some mischief going on in the kitchen. When I walked in Hilton was ripping open the bag of Biljac snacks. I made a feeble attempt to get them, but if you know Whippets, you will realize that if a Whippet has something he doesn't want you to have, you will never catch him. In fact the only way I ever get something really tasty (especially a squirrel) away from my dogs is with dog treats, so I knew I should just give up. Now Hilton has eaten more dog treats in five minutes than he normally gets in six months! Oh well!!!







As I said this casserole was made with things I happened to have in my kitchen. Along with the broccoli, water chestnuts, rice, onion and celery, I also used left over chicken (from yesterday's Chicken Valerie), mayonnaise, sour cream, cream cheese, Monterey Jack cheese and chicken bouillon powder. You can switch out most of the ingredients for other things you have in your kitchen.




While the rice was cooking I sauteed the onion and celery in butter, and cooked the broccoli. Then I mixed the everything but the topping together in the pan with the rice. (I don't like Puppy Daddy to have to wash extra dishes.) 

Next this mixture went into a baking dish. Now for the topping. A few weeks ago I hosted a pool party. for lunch we had a salad bar and everyone brought a salad topper to share. Well, I think half the guests brought croutons. Of course all the extra bags were left at my house, so I am now trying to think of creative ways to use them. For this dish I just smashed some croutons up, sprinkled them over the top and poured a little melted butter over the top.


I baked the casserole in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Quick, easy and yummy way to use up what's in your pantry and fridge.

Ingredients
2 cups cooked rice (follow package directions)
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 Tb butter, divided
1/2 cup diced water chestnuts
1 cup cooked broccoli (I steamed it in the microwave for 3 minutes)
1 cup chopped, cooked chicken
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
3/4 cup mayonnaise
3/4 sour cream
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 tsp chicken bouillon powder
3/4 cup crushed salad croutons

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook rice according to package directions. Saute onions and celery in one Tb spoon of butter over medium high heat. Mix together shredded cheese, mayo, sour cream, cream cheese and chicken bouillon powder. Combine this mixture with with the rice, onion, celery, water chestnuts, broccoli and chicken. Put in baking dish. Top with crushed salad croutons and the other Tb of butter, melted. Bake for 20 minutes.








2 comments:

  1. Served this to 3 teen age boys tonight and a grown boy as well (we were also accompanied by 2 Whippet dogs who would have loved to have just one bit!)....Verdict was a clean casserole dish! I doubled the recipe for obvious reasons, added a few mushrooms and used the Cheddar French Onions on top....I had to cook the chicken today which meant a lot of pans, but had them all cleaned and put away before we got home from church to a completed meal. House smelled so good and all boys in my house joined the "clean plate club." Tons of flavors....kind of like a "party in my mouth." Looking forward to making it again!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! Food Fussy Husband gave it a 10, and asked me to make for a family gathering, you know it was good.
    Thank you!
    Sfynky

    ReplyDelete