Henderson & Hilton

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Easy Chicken Verde Tostados

Yep, I'm still using up the left over Chicken Valerie! My family loves Mexican food. My dad introduced it to us when I was in my early teens and he frequently traveled to Texas and New Mexico for business. That was way before Taco Bell, and there were not many Mexican ingredients in grocery stores. In my house there always seemed to be fresh, very spicey salsa for an after school snack. My dad says if it doesn't make your nose run and your cheeks turn red, it's not hot enough! Well this recipe is not spicey, because Puppy Daddy is not into super spicey food, so I always add the spice at the end to just my portion. It does however have salsa, green tomatilla salsa, which is my favorite. You can make it yourself and sometimes I do, but I was looking for something quick and easy, so I used premade salsa verde.


For this recipe you will need corn tortillas, refried beans, cooked shredded or chopped chicken, salsa verde (tomatilla salsa) monterey jack cheese, lettuce tomato, green onions and sour cream. I always add pickeled jalapenos to mine, too! The first step is to heat the chicken up with the salsa verde. Just heat them together in a sauce pan so that the the salsa thickens up a bit.




Next, crisp up your corn tortillas.
This is easy. Just put a little olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat. When the oil is hot lay the tortillas in and cook each side for about 3-4 minutes until they just start to turn brown. Then let them drain on a rack over some paper towels. I like to sprinkle them with a little salt while they are still hot.




While the tortillas are cooling you can prep your other ingredients. Shred the cheese and chop the veggies.  Heat the refried beans up in the microwave.








Now get your tortillas ready to go into the oven. Just spread some of the warm refried beans on your tortillas. Top with the chicken - salsa mixture and cheese. Put them in a 350 oven until the cheese melts.


Finally top with veggies and sour cream. Yum!

Ingredients
1 cup cooked shredded or chopped chicken
2/3 cup salsa verde (tomatilla salsa)
4 corn tortillas
1 Tb olive oil
salt
1 cup refried beans
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup chopped lettuce
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup sour cream
pickled jalapenos (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine chicken and salsa verde in a sauce pan. Heat on medium for about 10 minutes or until salsa thickens. Heat olive oil in non-stick skillet on medium high. Cook tortillas for 3-4 minutes on each side until the begin to brown. Remove and place on a rack over paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Heat refried beans until just warm in microwave oven. Spread 1/4 cup of refried beans on each tortilla. Put 1/4 of the chicken, salsa mixture on each tortilla and top with cheese. Cook in oven until cheese melts, about 5 minutes. Top each tostado with the rest of the ingredient.

Try this recipe and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED this dish!!!It is really simple and quick to make. The salsa verde mixed with the chicken is an easy flavoring I've never considered. I bought tostados instead of crisping corn tortillas because I thought it would save time. I wouldn't recommend doing this because they are pretty flaky and I'm guessing the corn totillas would have a better flavor. I mixed Rotel and Sour Cream to put on top and that was delicious! I'll definitely be make this recipe again!

    ReplyDelete